The family and caregiver information section section gives advice and tips on the role of a caregiver, but sometimes caregivers may need more support. Healthcare professionals, including your doctor and nurse, may be able to provide you with more advice on the support you can receive and who you should contact.

My relative has been diagnosed with heart failure, what can I do to help?
There are many ways in which you can help your relative cope with the day-to-day management of their heart failure. You may find it useful to go with your relative to their doctor appointments as the doctor will be able to suggest ways in which you can help, such as helping your relative to remember to take medicines, adjusting your own diet to suit the patient's diet restrictions, encouraging daily activity and being supportive during difficult periods.

Are there any local support groups for caregivers?
Caregiving can be a very demanding role, both physically and mentally. Your relative's doctor or nurse will be able to give you details of any local support groups specifically for caregivers. You may find these groups helpful as there will be people in the same situation as you, who will be happy to share their experiences with you.

Are there any services offered by social services that may help me?
You may be entitled to receive various types of assistance when caring for a relative. Your doctor or nurse will be able to give you contact details for the relevant social services so that you can find out if you are eligible.